Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Manning Park ~ Montecito Inspired Shoot

Now this shoot…Wow. When I got the photos back, I was over the moon. It was the first time I’ve worked with Kurt Boomer, and I can’t wait to work with him again. His photos look almost sparkly, like they have little bits of silver dust on them. I actually don’t know how to describe it, but you can check the photos out for yourself and let me know what words you’d use. I’ve never seen this before, and I love it! The brilliant Erica Espana of Twine Events, worked with Elan of Elan Event Rentals to use his seriously beautiful, one of a kind, rentals for this shoot. His pieces are breathtaking and will bring something totally different and original to your event. I’ve had a major soft spot for this kind of furniture since I started in interior design. When Erica and I were checking out his inventory, I was so excited to be able to play with his pieces for a day. The design direction for the flowers also instantly came into focus. I wanted to do something earth toned, seasonal, and a little bit wild. I also wanted to practice on my brides bouquet from this post, so I considered this a trial run. Erica and I worked together on the overall look and feel of this shoot, and I always love collaborating with her. I feel like we’re kindred design spirits, taking each other to the next level. So, enjoy these photos and let me know what you think! I’m also excited to say this shoot was featured on 100 Layer Cake last week!! Click the link to check out what they had to say!

1OakandtheOwl_Watters Mojave Wedding Dress

Erica worked with Lovely Bride in Los Angeles to help us choose a beautiful gown for this shoot. When I saw the Mojave gown by Watters, I thought its subtle design kind of mimicked the wood grain of the furniture we were using, and felt it would be a great choice. I also thought that it’s styling and the fact that it has pockets was fantastic. And aren’t these paper goods from Vanessa of Duk Designs wonderful? Vanessa created a whole suite for us, and its charcoal grey with cream lace accents are so pretty. Definitely something I’d choose for my own wedding. You can see the rest of the suite farther down the post.

2OakandtheOwl_Mojave Wedding Dress

3OakandtheOwl_Yellow and Brown Flowers

I loved creating this bouquet. It was based off a design a bride of mine liked and I was kind of nervous to have hers be the first one I’d ever worked on. So like I mentioned previously, this was my practice run. It was so much fun being so free with the style, and getting wild with it. I used yellow and brown oncidium orchids, capriccio garden roses, golden ignace spray roses, red and gold rudbekias, flame orange calla lilies,  umbrella fern, and jasmine. I then used brown and gold velvet ribbon tied in a knot, and left long tails. The boutonnière was made with a single golden ignace rose paired with fern, brown oncidium orchids and a touch of berzillia, tied with orange satin ribbon.

4OakandtheOwl_Yellow Roses

5OakandtheOwl_Yellow Rose Bout

And Mar from TEAM Hair and Makeup did a gorgeous job on our model! I think the model thought I was a little koo koo because I kept gushing over how beautiful she was and how amazing she looked. We can credit that to both genes and TEAM’s artistry. 

6OakandtheOwl_Wild Orchid Bouquet

7OakandtheOwl_Heart Tree Stump

Aren’t the teak log stools from Elan great?!? The one above looks like a heart… Perfect piece to do detail shots on (ie rings, flowers, invites, etc).

8OakandtheOwl_Black and White Invites

9OakandtheOwl_Equipales Chairs

The furniture we used from Elan were the Equipales chairs, the dark brown Acacia Dining Table, Acacia Bench, Teak Chargers, and Teak Goblet Bowls (I used those for flowers). I love the rustic feel these pieces can lend to an event. Rustic yet sophisticated.This furniture is solid, beautifully made, and completely high end. I can’t wait to start seeing it in all kinds of events. I know it’s going to take off, it’s too good not to.

10OakandtheOwl_Orchid and Dahlia Centerpiece

Along with the flowers mentioned above, I also used dahlias and privet berry in the table centerpieces. I designed these guys out of the back of my car, which is always fun. I think that’s what also made these arrangements so loose and free. I didn’t have enough time to worry about what I was doing, so I just taped a quick grid on the top, designed, turned it around, filled in a hole or two, and carried it down to the site. Sometimes I wish I could do every event like this. But that would lend itself to a whole different level of stress. Lol.

11OakandtheOwl_Elan Wooden Goblets

12OakandtheOwl_Rustic Floral Centerpieces

13OakandtheOwl_Wood Chargers

14OakandtheOwl_Yellow Oncidiums

15OakandtheOwl_Red Dahlias

16OakandtheOwl_Elan Event Rentals

17OakandtheOwl_Equipales Chairs Wedding

18OakandtheOwl_Yellow Orchids White Cake

19OakandtheOwl_Orchids on Wedding Cake

Ok, that’s it for today! I’m working on a super fun baby’s breath wedding this weekend, and I can’t wait to share it here. If you’re on Instagram, I joined a few weeks ago. Follow me to see more frequent updates as to what I’m working on. Oh, because there are cute pics of my Bassman, my profile is private. But don’t let that keep you away, I’m happy to share my love of flowers, and my boy, with folks of similar interests. Cheers!

Vendor Credits

Photography: Kurt Boomer

Event Coordinator and Designer: Twine Events

Event Styling and Florals: Oak & The Owl 

Invitation Designer: Duk Design 

Dress Shop: Lovely Bride LA 

Equipment Rentals: Elan Event Rentals

Makeup Artist: TEAM Hair and Makeup 

Location: Manning Park 

Model: Gregory Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment