Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Flowers for Tonya Joy's Photograhpy Workshop...

These beautiful photos are from a stylized photography workshop held by Tonya Goettsche of Tonya Joy Photography. We were so excited to have it featured on a great wedding blog, Ruffled, a couple of months ago. Tonya styled it herself and brought me on for the florals. She wanted a vintage Paris theme and incorporated some of her lovely personal items that hold importance for her as she's an avid sewer and regularly does embroidery and the like. She's truly amazing, that lady. She was 8 months pregnant at this workshop and not only did she create all the details herself, ran a team to set it up, she also taught about 15 other professional photographers for an entire day. And that's all with 4 kids at home to take care of. She's inspiring to say the least.

The flowers used for this shoot were in soft peach and blush tones and were styled to be very romantic and fitting in a vintage setting. I used local garden roses (local is now my term for foraging on public property), David Austin garden roses, peonies (Top of Brass and Bowl of Cream varieties), hydrangea, spray roses, dusty miller, hosta leaves, passion vine, and a green and white leaf I'm trying to find the name of - I'd love it for my garden.




The bride's hair and make-up were done by Katrina Kirk of Kitsch by Kat. Tonya wanted to invoke the feel of Grace Kelly with a dash of Kate Middleton on their wedding days. Kat nailed it and the bride looked so ethereal and pretty. After seeing these photos I told Tonya her sister (her sister and brother-in-law were the models) looked like a porcelain doll, such ridiculous genes in that family...








While I'm starting to tire a bit of the vintage theme that's so popular right now, I honestly loved this table set-up. And the fact that all these details play a daily part in Tonya's life made the aesthetic feel genuine and not contrived as it's starting to become after seeing so many weddings in this style. Another reason I enjoyed this shoot is that I'm also a sewer, and when I have time (and extra $ for fabric), I'm always making something. I used to have a vintage sewing machine that I finally had to get rid of after hauling it to apartment #3, so getting to decorate this beauty was a lot of fun.












I included these last two photos because they were just too beautiful to leave out.


That's it for today! I'll be back next week with another beautiful shoot. I'm also waiting on photos from recent weddings to show you some actual client work Oak & the Owl has been doing. While I slowly build O & the O's client base (7 weddings and a few parties in the first year seems pretty great!!), I've also been super busy working freelance for Flowerwild. It's such a treat working for Kate and being apart of some incredible weddings. So between O & the O, freelance, and my sweet Bassman, I'm happily, and gratefully, busy - and doing my best to keep up with blogging and social media. Easier said than done some days... ;-)

Vendor Credits

Venue: Orange Orchard in Corona, CA
Photographer, Event Stylist, and Stationery: Tonya Joy Photography
Hair and Makeup: Kitsch by Kat
Flowers: Oak and the Owl
Cake: Rebecca Williamson

2 comments:

  1. this shoot would NOT have been half of what it was with out your incredible floral vision. You are really gifted at what you do. I really enjoy every time I get to see you and getting to include your talent in my work is beyond wonderful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet Tonya, thank you! I love working on your shoots... your vision is so cohesive and fun. You have great style my friend. Can't wait for the next one! ;-)

      Delete